Spanton Jarman Project
Click on an image to see a large format version.
Westerfield, opening of Light Railway
3rd May 1902
The cutting of the first sod ceremony for the mid-Suffolk light railway. The ceremony took place in a field adjacent to the down platform of the GER station and was performed by the Duke of Cambridge, one of the two gentlemen in top hats leading the procession. The line was to run from Haughley Junction to Halesworth, but unfortunately it soon got into financial difficulties and was cut back to Haughley to Laxfield only. It closed down completely in 1952 but its memory lives on in the MSLR Museum at Brockford.
Westerfield, Railway Station staff
3rd May 1902
Great Eastern Railway staff in front of the original Felixstowe Dock & Railway Co building, which ran alongside the GER main Westerfield Station. The photograph was presumably taken on the same day as K505/1410. If so, the man sitting in the centre of the front row would have been William Henry Wilkes, Station Master from 1896 to 1904, and son of Henry Wilkes who was Station Master at Saxham.
Please fill in all the fields so that we can respond to you if necessary.
Copyright ©2004-16 Bury St Edmunds Past and Present
Society. All rights reserved.
Website design by The Internet Consultancy