Spanton Jarman Project
Click on an image to see a large format version.
Great Waldingfield, St Lawrence church from S
The building is late Gothic perpendicular, built on the site of the old Saxon church. The clock was forged by a local blacksmith in 1786 and given to the church by Clare College, Cambridge, which for many years held the advowson of St Lawrence. The white gate was removed when a lych-gate was erected and dedicated to Mary Braithwaite (widow of Rev'd Joseph Braithwaite) who died in 1928.
Great Waldingfield, St Lawrence church, interior from W
Restoration took place under the direction of the architect, William Butterfield, in 1866 and 1875. The new pulpit of oak and walnut was installed in the chancel. The East window has glass by Gibbs of London and presented by the Misses Bailey in 1869.
Great Waldingfield, rectory
The earliest part of the house dates back to the 14c when it was a prayer hall. In 1563 John Hopkins became the rector and together with Thomas Sternhold, produced the first national English hymn book, 'The Whole Booke of Psalms'. Now principally Georgian in appearance it is a 5* luxury hotel called Old Rectory Country House.
Please fill in all the fields so that we can respond to you if necessary.
Copyright ©2004-16 Bury St Edmunds Past and Present
Society. All rights reserved.
Website design by The Internet Consultancy