Spanton Jarman Project
Click on an image to see a large format version.
44 Guildhall St, Bury St Edmunds, Blake's Cycle Stores
Blake's Cycle Stores was founded in the early 1900's by Oliver Blake,
who had previously owned a blacksmith shop in Cullum Road. The picture
shows his son, Oliver Senior with his son Arthur, who took over the
running of the shop when his father became blind. The shop also sold
gramophones and records. Farm hands would cycle to Bury for a Saturday
night out and leave their cycles at the shop for a few pence and
collect them after midnight to cycle home.
Hardwick House, Dinner to the 5th and 6th Batt. Suffolk Regiment
26 January 1914
Seated at table, left to right are; Lieut. P C Harris, 1st Battalion,
Lieut. H O Ashton, 2nd Lieut. N Rooke, D Company, Capt. A Turner,
19th C of London, W Elliot, Lieut. F W W T Attree, 2nd Battalion
2nd Lieut. R B Ledward, 2nd Lieut. E F E Hammond, E Pritchett,
Lieut. E S Stork, R.A.M.C., Lieut. T Wilson, E S Bence,
Capt. G W Ledward, C Company, E Jambier Howe, G M G Cullum,
Mayor of Bury St Edmunds, 2nd Lieut. H G Kilner, B Company,(Machine Gun Section),
Lieut. H C Wolton, D Company, Capt. C M Oliver, D Company, Capt. H M Lawrence,
Adj. Scots Rifles and LT-Col W T Pretty.
The photograph was taken at the beginning of the year that witnessed the start of the Great War in which Lieut P C Harris, Lieutenant H O Ashton and Lieut. F W W Attree all died on the Western front, and Captain Ledward was killed in action at Gallipoli in August 1915. Lieutenant H C Wolton served with the 5th Battalion throughout the war and was awarded the MC at the 2nd Battle of Gaza in November 1917. He returned to Bury St Edmunds in 1919 and founded a firm of land and estate agents. This photograph, and accompanying notes, were kindly provided by his grandson the Rev. Peter Wolton.
Please fill in all the fields so that we can respond to you if necessary.
Copyright ©2004-16 Bury St Edmunds Past and Present
Society. All rights reserved.
Website design by The Internet Consultancy